Monday, January 23, 2023

2023 Quest Calendar 6: The Cooking?

Moonsday, Nebulis 23

Today, I met Ascel, a Husqel man (identifiable by his blue-grey skin and the ridges on the top of his head.) It sounds like Ascel tries to a little of everything on board the ship. He does things that have no one else to fill the roll, like cooking and finances, but he also helps the others as a 2ndary on their positions as well.

It sounds like Ascel and SD-113 don't exactly get along. SD-113 doesn't like Ascel trying to help with maintenance (which is a trait that I saw when I went and introduced myself to the droid,) but SD-113 isn't qualified to work on the ship's voidspark engine. Ascel expressed a hope that Captain Cayliss would hire competent mechanic soon, and that he hopes I might be able to help with this.

Personally, I don't want to provoke the wrath of SD-113, so I'm not inclined to step on his toes (figuratively speaking.)


Ascel asked for my help in cooking, noting that the various species on the ship had varying dietary needs and that I would need to make something that could be consumed and enjoyed by everyone. 
This was an area I felt particularly prepared for.  I'd read up on the various cuisines of different alien species in preparation for the trip. I was excited to try anything that my human taste buds and digestive system could survive. 

Today I am Feeling: Proud of Myself

Ascel asked me to help wrangle the live food into the pot. This was an area I was, admittedly, less prepared for. In my experience cooking, I generally had more stationary ingredients. I ended up getting bit and stung by a strange bug-creature. It hurt a lot, and again I wondered about what sort of safety regulations this interactive experience was supposed to be under. A lesser person would have pursued legal action the first time getting hurt, and this was my third!

Regardless, once we got the ingredients together and started cooking, it went really well! Ascel was impressed with how far I was able to make the ingredients stretch, stating that we would have good leftovers from the meal for a long time. The rest of the crew were all super happy with the food as well, giving clear signs that they actually enjoyed the meal and that their compliments were genuine.

Except, of course, for SD-113, who was electronic and does not eat normal biological food.
 


Links


2023 Quest Calendar: https://www.sundialgames.com/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment