Thursday, January 26, 2023

2023 Quest Calendar 9: Spacesuits and Anxiety

Today I am Feeling: Afraid

Thornsday, Nebulis 26

I'm a bit worried about this one. The way the experience goes, apparently I'm supposed to go outside the ship, to the comet, with Brokvar, to place some equipment on the comet. This has to be a joke, right? There's no way any sort of self-respecting cruise company is going to risk putting their customers on a space walk. There's way too much that could go wrong with that.

Plus, there's not really a comet, right? They wouldn't have been able to plan an immersive experience around the idea of a comet that may or may not be there when the plans are made. Alright, so, two possibilities. The first and more risky possibility is that the "comet" was already on board the ship and that they just let it out for this part of the adventure. But that still involves customers like me going out into space. The second, hopefully more likely situation is that the ship has an anti-grav room in it where they're simulating space and have a fake comet in there.

I tried to socialize with Brokvar and SD-113 as we got ready for the space walk. SD-113 was focused on checking our space suits, so he didn't talk much. Brokvar spoke some about how scary space was and how he was glad to have someone else with him. This did little to settle my concerns, but I mentally assured myself that it's just part of the experience and that Brokvar is just acting.

Having no experience with space suits prior, I asked Brokvar for help, which he provided with the remark that if he helps me now, maybe I'll help him later. I hope I can. Or that the character I'm playing can help the character he's playing. Yeah, that.

And with that we grabbed some gear and got ready to set out to space. I just keep hoping that it's fake space and not real space.
 



Links


2023 Quest Calendar: https://www.sundialgames.com/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment