Tuesday, January 24, 2023

2023 Quest Calendar 7: Flying the Karnak

Today I am Feeling: Pretty good! I didn't get hurt,
and I'm starting to actually enjoy myself. Maybe
this "immersive experience" will be okay afterall.
 Truceday, Nebulis 24

I finally met the ship's pilot, Naylee. I had, of course, seen Naylee briefly the at dinner the previous day, but now I met her for real. She is a member of the frosk species, a pink-skinned species that is decended from amphibians. 

Of all the members of the ship I've interacted with so far, Naylee is by far the friendliest and the most welcoming. She said that she could use a good co-pilot and asked me to take over flying to our mission.

Oh, yeah, our "mission," apparently, is to catch a comet so that a nearby station can benefit from its ice and water. Seems pretty low stakes for an interactive experience, but at least trying to catch a comet should be exciting. I wonder if the "windows" of the Karnak that I was looking out of were actually screens displaying whatever was needed for the adventure. It is possible that this isn't even a real bridge at all, and that there is really a completely different bridge with a real pilot (and that Naylee is just an actor for the experience). Or, possibly, the windows are augmented reality displays, so most of what was seen out of them is genuine, but then things like the comet can be projected on the windows and appear as though it's really there.

I felt like I did a really good job plotting a course to the comet based on the data that Naylee provided. However, I did a much worse job at navigating the course to the comet. I got us completely lost in an unknown part of space. Naylee assured me that it was okay and that flying the ship isn't easy, and then she took over piloting.
 



Links


2023 Quest Calendar: https://www.sundialgames.com/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment