Friday, January 20, 2023

2023 Quest Calendar 4: Target Practice (And I'm the Target!?)


Today I am feeling: Surprised and injured
Fruitsday, Nebulis 20

I met the first mate, a Gunnbaar man with green skin and spikes on his head who stood a foot or two taller than me. He introduced himself as Brokvar and asked for my assistance in the training room. I thought he just wanted my help calibrating a machine or something (a puzzle or mini-game that was supposed to be an engaging part of the interactive experience.)

No. He took me into a room full of targets and of training combat bots. He tossed me into the middle of the room and then turned the bots on! He said that he wanted to test my combat abilities to see how useful I would be in the field. I tried to protest that I didn't have a weapon, but this apparently did not matter to Mr. Brokvar. 

Lasers began firing in all directions. I dropped to the ground as I noticed a beam headed toward me. The beam struck one of the other bots and sent it spiraling. Another drone was flying toward me and I could see its laser charging up. I didn't have time to get out of the way of the blast, but I remembered something I had read about combat drones. I began trying to pull myself onto a large metal barrier that had a target on it. The laser fired just as I got to the top. I'd been hoping to drop to the other side, but instead I slipped and fell back to the ground where I had started. Still, the beam went over my head and the drone, hoping to continue to pursue me and being unable to course correct in time, crashed into the barrier. I rolled out of the way to avoid it crushing me. It turned out that another bot, this one on wheels, had been approaching me and the one that had hit the barrier fell and disabled this one. There was one more bot, another drone, flying around trying to get a good shot at me. I waited until the last second and hopped over another (albeit shorter) barrier. The drone ended up crashing into the barrier like the first one, but it seemed able to shake off the impact and fired a bolt at me. I couldn't dodge fast enough and the laser hit me in the arm. 

And it hurt! A lot! I don't know what kind of waivers I signed, but I felt like I could have been seriously injured in that combat simulation! Hopefully future fights, if there were to be any, would go better. I wonder if the experience has any sort of pretend laser guns that I could pick up so that I could actually shoot back next time.

Either way, after I got hit, Brokvar stopped the simulation and said that I did good. He said that the crew didn't get into fights all the time, but that "times are crazy now and you never know."




Links


2023 Quest Calendar: https://www.sundialgames.com/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment