Thursday, September 21, 2017

Volos: Branches

Today the city was gathered in fear. A local glaive named Nieten, along with a group of newcomers to the town, reported swarms of abhumans gathering on the outskirts of town.

The beasts Nieten described were margr. Simple brutes, easily put down by anyone with training. Except that most of the villagers don't have training. I'm not much of a fighter myself.

If Ellomyr is to be wiped off the map by abhumans, can I find the answers I seek and get out before the destruction occurs? Or, perhaps, it would be easier to find what I'm searching for without so many people in the way...

I shook my head. These aren't my thoughts. These are the thoughts of the former Convergence member that I once was.


I closed my eyes and allowed myself to drift so that my mind entered the Outside. From here, I could see different paths that I might take. I could abandon these people. The village could be overrun and a massacre could occur. I could try to help in building up the town's defenses. Perhaps it might stand a chance-with the help of the other locals and visitors here. I could put my focus into trying to unlock the mysteries that had guided me here-and here, more branches. The mysteries seemed to still be a mystery even to the other realms. So many possibilities. Maybe the secrets would empower me to save the people of the town-maybe the secrets would destroy the town before the abhumans ever arrived.

Every world, every possibility, it was a new branch. I felt myself becoming sick, and I had to pull away from it all.

What am I going to do? Will I leave these people to their fate? Will I simply seek my own answers, and then decide what to do after I find them-if I find them in time? I do not know.

Previous post: Meeting the Storyteller
Next post: Better Defenses

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-2-discovery-and-destiny/posts/1995049

2 comments:

  1. Found your post on the Numenera 2 Kickstarter asking for a comment if interested in collab fiction. I'm up for it if you're fine with interacting with a young Diruk! I've read all your posts and think our current PC statuses works for a meeting. You can DM me on Twitter if you like!

    Check out https://twitter.com/Skie_borne/status/911076949174370304?s=09

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried to DM you, got a message saying that this user "doesn't allow" me to message them. I haven't used my Twitter in years, so it's possible that I'm doing something wrong. I did click to follow you, if that helps.

      My Twitter, such as it is, is https://twitter.com/FoolFeste, in case you following me allows you to message me or would allow me to message your or whatever.

      I am very interested in crossing over though!

      Delete