Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Volos: Introduction (an Exiled Nano who Steps Into the Outside)

Iadace, stranger.

In my journey to Ellomyr, I met a man named Aravind. He could tell that I was running, and he asked if I was running towards something or away from something. The answer, of course, is both.

I am running from many different things. In my old life, I had ties to some disreputable folks-namely the Convergence. I'm not proud of it. But I tried to turn over a new leaf...when the people of the town I was staying in found out my past and set the constables on me. So, I'm a bit hunted by the lawmen of Draolis, and a lot hunted by former Convergence members.

On the way out of service to the Convergence, I borrowed some of their books-among them an ancient record that they were still working to decipher. I deciphered it-well, some of it, and it has led me here, to Ellomyr. From the looks of it, I am not the only one looking to uncover the secrets that await here. So I have to run if I want to find them first.


I am Volos, an Exiled Nano who Steps Into the Outside.

I've traveled a long way to arrive in Ellomyr-both literally and metaphorically. Metaphorically, you could say that I've been on this journey for years-starting in Bodrov with the Parables, and spending time in the Cloudcrystal Skyfields and Uxphon. But, I moved the fastest with the help of the Convergence. Selfish though they may be, they have the greatest understanding of the Numenera of anyone. I'd wager even deeper than the Aeon Priests.

But enough about them.

My journey has led me here, to Ellomyr. I might prefer a place either more populated and bustling, but it is good that I have a chance to lie low. I might prefer a place filled with more ruins to explore, but I must remain focused. After all, the secrets of this world-of all the worlds-lie ready to be claimed by whoever can solve them fastest.

Next Entry: Meeting the Storyteller

2 comments:

  1. Just a question but when's your next post? I wanted to have Cherub ask Volos something about the Ring's reason for saving Ellomyr and she'll be respectful enough not to pry into his reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next post will hopefully be later today-but we'll see what time does.

      Volos probably doesn't know a lot about the Ring or its reason for saving Ellomyr, but he can speak for himself. Are you wanting me to include that in my next post, or do you want to have that conversation in yours?

      To be straightforward, if you're paying attention, Volos is a bit conflicted on things and not very consistent himself. He is wary of the newest set of strangers that have come to town-distrusting their willingness to help it, while he works alongside many other strangers, many of which have just come to town-including the Ring-to unlock the secrets of the Trilling Shard.

      Volos will claim that his primary motivation is to unlock secrets of the past in the surrounding areas-and the parallel dimensions nearby the surrounding areas. He believes he has a lead on this, but it is something of a puzzle/enigma to work through. His claim would be that his work is here, so he must stay here to do it, but that if nothing is done about the abhuman threat, it could destroy both him and his work. He also would claim that he hopes those who he is aiding in defending the city might, in return, help him with solving the mysteries that have driven him here.

      There is some truth to the idea that he actually sees Ellomyr as idyllic and that acting to protect it is protecting a sort of innocence that he feels he previously destroyed in other parts of the world. In some ways, helping the town is a penance on his quest for redemption. But, since he doesn't really admit to himself that he's on a quest for redemption, he wouldn't be likely to bring up that reasoning.

      If you have this conversation in one of your posts, please link it somewhere here so that I can see it!

      Delete