Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Quest Calendar 10: Escape or Tragedy (4 days)


Who would have thought it would be after getting back from vacation that it would get harder to keep up with these posts?

Starday 29/Sunsday 30, Winterwary

As I tried to take the children and go, I turned to find two hideous beings blocking our escape. Hags. Perhaps they had been human witches once, twisted by dark magics into horrific beings. Regardless, as they began casting spells, I stepped in front of the children and summoned my cards. Knowing that this could be a difficult struggle, I dug deep into my arcane reserves, giving my battle ability a boost for the whole battle.

The first one slung a spell at me, but I absorbed its energy unaffected. I threw a card right into the hag and it fell over dead. The second followed much the same pattern.

I had been prepared for a much more difficult struggle, but I wasn't going to complain about a straightforward success. As we went to leave the room, I found two gold coins upon the ground.

As I led the children through the maze back to the well, I couldn't help but consider the hags, twisted and warped by their magics. I had access to some sort of arcane energy, even if I did not understand it. Could my use of the manipulation magics become a dependency? If it did, would it become an addiction? Would it turn me into a monster like them? What was the probability of that?

Moonsday, Winterwary 31

We came to the well, rope stretching down to us. I remembered how difficult getting down the well had been, and I knew that the children would need help. I was able to get the girl up without difficulty. With the boy, I saw myself slipping and getting rope burn, but with a shift of golden-yellow light, I tipped the odds in my favor and was able to get him up safely.

Truceday, Deadprairie 1

I returned the children back to their parents. They asked how they could repay me, but I made no such demand upon them. They told me that they were going to Graycliff for the Festival and Tournament of Lords, and asked me to go with them. I am uncertain as to if it was an offer of kindness from them or a request for aid and protection from me. Regardless, I looked around to find Seth and saw no trace of him. He must have continued on.

Without my previous companion, I accepted the offer of the kind family to ride in their wagon. Perhaps it would be restful. Perhaps, in that rest, I would have time to reflect on my journey, possibly even regaining some of my memory. I could only hope.

Windsday, Deadprairie 2

Imbolc, Foundation of the Realm of the Bearded Beard

As I traveled with the family, I considered the events that had transpired since I had awoken. In successfully rescuing the children from the hags, I had undergone many trials. I was happy to have them all behind me now, but I felt that they had helped me to grow. I now had a better sense of my probability manipulation powers, being able to use them at will instead of just on instinct. I still had no idea where the power came from or how I was able to perform it, but I was growing in my understanding of its application.

With that understanding, I felt that I had a deeper mastery of my powers allowing me greater use of them. A "level up" of power, one might even say.


No comments:

Post a Comment