Friday, February 4, 2022

Quest Calendar 11: Journey and Destination (2 Days)

Thornsday, Deadprairie 3

As we traveled, we came to a place where two roads diverged. One path was clearly more used and worn than the other. The mother of the family that I was traveling with explained to me that the worn path was the main road while the other was a shortcut. She said that they had been planning on taking the main road as the path would be clear and as there would be safety because of crowds and other travelers along the road. However, the shortcut could be faster and get us to better lodgings than the wagon with more speed. Since I was traveling with them, the mother acknowledged that I could potentially guard them on the shorter path, and she asked my opinion on what we should do moving forward.

I liked our odds at taking the shortcut. It was known that there was a shortcut here, so even if it was somewhat more perilous than the main road, others had succeeded at it before.

Taking the shortcut proved to be a boon. With all the extra time that we had from the shorter path, we even had the opportunity to break and hunt for food. Not only did this mean we did not have to consume rations, but it also allowed me to tuck some of the extra food away for if I might need it in the future.

Fruitsday, Deadprairie 4

At last, we came upon the gates of Greycliff. Two angry-looking guards were processing the crowd as they came through. As we drew near enough to hear, I heard the guards demanding a three gold weapons tax from someone ahead of us in the line. I scowled at that, knowing that the tax should have been two gold. 

I was surprised by the knowledge, but also hopeful. If I knew what the weapon tax to Greycliff was, then it was likely that I had been here before. If I had been here, then I might be able to find someone who had answers about my past. Regardless, just being in a familiar area might trigger some of my memories to return.

"Let me handle this," I told the family as we approached the guards.

"Three gold for anyone carrying weapons," one of the guards demanded.

"What do you think you are trying to pull here?" I asked of the guard, drawing up near to him and speaking quietly. I knew that if I brought the rest of the crowd to anger, it would cause the guards to react poorly to me. "I know that the tax is only supposed to be two gold. I suggest that if you don't want the mayor to find out about your extra charge, you let me and my company through without paying the tax."

"You'll pay just like anyone else," the guard said. "Two gold per person carrying weapons."

I sighed at not being able to talk them down to letting us through for free, but at least I knew we wouldn't be paying extra. Returning to the family, I told them that I had managed to get us a discount on the entry tax, making my efforts seem more like an accomplishment than they really had been. The family was appreciative of this as we moved through the gate, me paying my 2 gold as I went. Back down to nine.

I had lied to the family. It hadn't made much difference, but there had been no reason to do so. Still, it had seemed natural. Was that the sort of person I was? A liar? Perhaps Greycliff would hold the answers.

Tychon Level 2 Character Sheet: 

No comments:

Post a Comment