Sunday, January 23, 2022

Quest Calendar 5: Wolves!

 
Starday 22/Sunsday 23, Winterwary

Three large wolves began to circle me from within the wood. Because I had previously been aware of their presence, this did not take me by surprise. It was an area, however, where I would need to be careful. I tried to puff myself up to seem more frightening than I truly am, hoping to convince them that their odds of success in this venture were less than their animal minds may have originally conjured.

As I tried to put on an intimidating air, I could feel a shift in the odds of success, tipping ever so slightly in my favor. I knew that I had somehow done this, but I was still unaware of how. 

The wolves seemed somewhat frightened of me, but they still moved forward with their attack, coming after me in succession.

Suddenly, glowing magical cards appeared in my hand. I did not know where they had come from. There appeared to have been nothing up my sleeve. I threw one at the first wolf as it lunged at me, but the card went wide and embedded itself into a tree before vanishing. The wolf struck me, but very lightly. I'm not sure if it was because of my foreknowledge and preparation of their attack, or because the wolf was frightened of me. Either way, I counted myself fortunate for its glancing blow.

Before the second wolf could lunge, I threw one of the arcane cards in its direction. The card struck the creature square on the jaw, and the creature fell over, not moving any longer.

Spinning, I threw another card at the third. The card struck the wolf's side, but did not stop its assault. It clawed against me, but seemed to notice its fallen companion as it did so, failing to actually do any harm. As the wolves considered their fallen friend, I rushed off deeper into the woods, hoping to avoid them in the future.

This had been the second time that I felt like I'd tipped probability in my favor. The mysterious magical cards were also new. Who was I that I had these magical gifts? I did not understand them, nor did I understand myself. These seemed like unlikely abilities, but who was I to make such an assessment? Genuinely, who was I?

No comments:

Post a Comment