Thursday, January 20, 2022

2022 Quest Calendar 3: Missing Children

Thornsday, Winterwary 20

While traveling today I came upon a couple that was yelling out for their children. It seems that the family had all made camp along the road last evening, and that when the parents awoke the children were missing.

My brain did a quick calculation. The highest probability was that the children had woken up and gone off to play on their own. Odds were good that in their playing, they had wandered out of earshot of the camp.

However, despite lower odds, there was a risk that slavers or other malicious travelers absconded with the children. It was also possible that, even if they had gone off to play, they had run into some sort of trouble-monsters, predatory animals, collapsing environments, or any number of other risks were out there. When I was growing up, you could measure the odds of a random wilderness encounter on an eight sided die.

When I was growing up? The thought had come and passed through my mind so quickly that I almost missed it. My thoughts had acknowledged a past. I still knew nothing about that past, even as I tried to question the thought. But it was still there. Obviously, I knew that the odds were that I'd had a past and not just appeared as an adult alongside the road. However, to actually have the thought cross through my mind was encouraging. It confirmed not only that I had a past, but also that my mind was starting to acknowledge it. This seemed like the first step in gaining new memories.

I agreed to help the couple search for their children, but thus far have not found them.

No comments:

Post a Comment