Wednesday, January 19, 2022

2022 Quest Calendar 2: Envy for Seth


Windsday, Winterwary 19

As we traveled the road, Seth spoke of his home in a city called Dawnhollow. There he had friends, family, acquaintances, and a life. At one point he apologized for boring me, but as I had none of those things in my own memory, I found them worth listening to.

When we made camp, Seth showed me the hand-carved goods that he was hoping to sell at the festival. They were
not much to look at, but they were things he had put together himself. He had made jewelry and carvings based on his own life experiences and things he had seen or done. 

I had no life experiences to reflect back on. I knew what things were, but none of them felt personal to me. None of them connected to anything that had come before. Seth had a life. It was a simple one, but it was a life, complete with a past and with friends and fellowship. I envied the life that he had, dull as it may have been. 

Talk of selling items in the market reminded me to check my gold pouch, where I found 5 shimmering coins. It didn't seem like much, but I felt like I could increase my wealth given a lucky enough streak.

Seth continued speaking of the Tournament of Lords, saying that I should compete in it. I don't know what about my appearance lends him to thinking that I would be a good contestant, but who knows, maybe he's right. I might have better odds than I think. 

Apparently the prize is land in the kingdom along with a title. Such a thing would give me a home, which would be the start to having a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment