Friday, June 22, 2018

Value of Fiction: Hope



Artist Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal

An important role that fiction sometimes plays is to give people hope. I know many people who have particular books that they turn to when things feel down or overwhelming in their own lives. In many cases, it's the Harry Potter series.

Everyone has moments that seem dark to them individually-the death of a loved one, financial ruin, the loss of a friendship, medical depression, etc. For all these things, there are stories, fictional or not, that have people overcoming the same challenges-or symbolically similar ones. When executed well and with consideration paid to those suffering, this can be reassuring to an individual that is going through suffering, even if the story is wholly fictional.


Beyond individual suffering, there are times when the world seems dark. There are times when whole regions fall under a certain darkness and despondency. This could be a geographical area, a nation, or even a global issue. It could be a plague, a war, political turmoil, or an assortment of other things. It is in these times that the value of hope cannot be underestimated.

It's in these times that stories providing hope can be a blazing torch in the darkness. Just telling people that things will turn out alright can help to get them through the worst of times. This is revolutionary. This is incredibly important and valuable.

Risk: False Hope

If the hope provided isn't genuine, is it still worth something? 

In general, my thought is no. For instance, something that always frustrates me is when there is someone who is lonely and their friends try to reassure them by saying "you'll meet the right person," or "I'm sure there is someone out there for you," or any variation of the idea that this state won't be forever. Sure, it might not be forever, but the people providing the reassurance have no genuine reason to believe that. No religion that I'm aware of actually promises people romance. Christianity actually claims that being single is better. So, a single person, hearing that their plight will end, might place hope in this assurance, possibly to their own downfall. To begin with, it is encouraging. Over time, it becomes a voice in the back of their head reminding them of their own failure to live up to their friends expectations. It becomes a feeling that they are doing something wrong to still be in the position of being single. So, the false hope given by the friends actually can lead to some pretty dark places.

So, this is something to keep in mind when trying to give hope to people in a dark time through fiction. The hope needs to be reassuring, but it also needs to be true.

Or does it?

Is there value in telling people things will get better if there is no assurance that they will? I feel like giving people light in the dark may have some value. But if the creator of the light knows that it isn't genuine, they have to be careful about how its handled so that it doesn't become a greater source of darkness when extinguished. 

I am, admittedly, not sure how to manage this balance.

We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.Side-Solution: Give a Way of Making Things Better

A lot of times, when the darkness closes in, people want to be able to do something. For some people, they want to get themselves out of the unfortunate circumstances. For others, they want to help others to be saved from the experience. But most people want to do something, whatever the motivation.

Fiction can provide a way of giving examples for people to follow. By setting people up in similar circumstances and showing how they get out of it, how they help others, or how they help to eliminate the circumstance altogether, we can provide not just hope, but a way forward as well.

The problem with this is that too often the examples provided by fiction are unattainable figures. We are unlikely to be an individual symbol of revolution like Katness Everdeen. We are unlikely to have the powers to singlehandedly fight evil like Superman. We are unlikely to have the resources to build a better future on our own. This was a part of the struggle that was encapsulated within Heroism and Other Lies. The fact that the hero myth set a terrible example for other people because it provided a solution to a problem, but that the solution was unattainable.

Of course, if we look at realistic way of fixing systemic problems, we see that if we can even find these methods, they generally are not cinematic in the way that good-selling fiction is. People would, instead of finding hope in these stories, find boredom in them.

Again, I don't know how to manage this balance.

Dystopia: A Balance?

Dystopia fiction is pretty big right now, by my understanding. At least it was a few years ago. I have some speculation as to why that is, but let's not get into that right now.

Dystopia fiction has a good way of playing into peoples fears and the darknesses that they face. Most of the societies presented in these works are ones that believably could come out of the circumstances in which they were written. So, in many cases, this might even increase ones feeling of hopelessness.

Image result for frank herbert quote science fictionIn some cases, the purpose of these books is to serve as a warning. A "don't go this way" to people to avert the darkness before it gets here.

Many of these stories end badly.

Some dystopia stories, however, end not with tragedy, but with the heroes (either as individuals or with the help of additional rebel force) overthrowing the evil that kept the world in a dystopic state. 

And these are the stories for the people who are the most hopeless. For the people who see no way out, it is incredibly important to have these stories that show other people overcoming such an overwhelmingly broken world.

(As a side note, I feel like what these stories often lack is talking about how to rebuild the world and stop it from becoming as bad or worse once you have defeated the dystopia, but that is neither here nor there, and it doesn't diminish the significance of these stories for those who can find hope within them.)

Ruins & Robots

Ruins & Robots is certainly not supposed to be a story of despair, but I'm not really sure that it's one of hope either. In truth, I'm hoping to avoid the despair element.

The story takes place in a world where humanity has met its end, which I could see being discouraging to some people. However, the story doesn't linger on that. It isn't about that. And, on the whole, the "death of humanity" proposed in Ruins and Robots isn't one that we'd realistically face in the future. It's one of the parts of the premise that is intentionally unrealistic in order to set up the premise of the story so that I can focus on the themes and elements that I actually want to focus on.

Image result for frank turner i still believe that everyone can find a songBut, as I've been thinking about hope and hopelessness in the world lately, it has made me consider trying to switch to a more hopeful project. I just don't really know what that is right now. I think that Ruins and Robots has some pretty significant value to it that readers could find and take and apply, but I'm not sure that hope, in a realistic and helpful way, is among that value.

Conclusion

In the end, I think that hope is incredibly important. Especially now (and, historically, points like now.) But I don't know how to express it in a way that is genuine or gives people guidance on what to do.

I, myself, don't really know what to do. How do you tell people to hope that evil can be defeated when you can see that things are already in place for new evils to take its place once it is knocked down? When all the power to make change lies in competing conspiracies, how do you express hope for honest people? 

Perhaps I, myself, need to find some more hopeful things to read.

2 comments:

  1. I have definitely been slacking on reading friends' blogs, but I really appreciated your thoughts on this one. I agree that hope is essential, yet very challenging to express for honest people. For me, I think it often just comes down to faith that goodness will always triumph- no matter how long the darkness reigns.

    I can see what you're saying about how hurtful it can be for someone to make a friend feel guilty for not being in a relationship because of how they continue to remind them that it will happen sometime. And maybe sometimes it does end up being false hope.
    But sometimes, I think that not knowing for certain does not make hope less genuine. I feel for some, hope can be abstract yet heartfelt at the same time. Or it is driven by honest desire and recognition of patterns. For example, I may not know for a fact that my single friends will end up in relationships... but I do know that a majority of my friends who have feared that they would end up single forever are now married or in healthy relationships. So I'd say that while I don't always have solid knowledge of the outcome and especially not of a time-line, I do have prior experience or beliefs based on that. In this instance, I think that because my friend is a cool person, someone else will find them cool on a romantic level as well?

    For me, hope is based on the notion that evil can not triumph forever. There are so many horrible plights that the world faces every single day. But there is always at least some sort of a fight to stop it and to improve the world. Struggling with depression, I often feel helpless and like it will never get better. But I am consistently proven time and time again that the total darkness can not exist forever. There is always a light. (Now I'm getting more pumped for KH3. ;))

    As far as dystopias go, I recently joined a book club where the theme is to read strictly dystopian stories for 12 months. I especially enjoy the value of hope in these stories, but I agree entirely that they typically lack a good discussion of how to address the new world's issue. I know a lack of a solution can generate excellent discussions, though, so I agree that it doesn't diminish their value.

    With all that said, hope is complicated. If you mind more genuine hopeful things to read, please let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your well thought out and lengthy response.

      As for the romantic example, I think there is a difference between telling friends "You're cool, and based on what I know about life, it makes sense that you'll find someone else who thinks you're cool too" (or something like that but better phrased) and "Don't worry, you'll find someone" which is less honest since it implies a certainty that isn't really there.

      I do your "Hope is based on the notion that evil can not triumph forever."

      Within the last week, so well after I wrote this blog post, I was reading about a 'new genre' (I use those words broadly, since I don't think either of them really apply) called "Hopepunk." Hopepunk stories are, in theory, supposed to be sort of the opposite of the grimdark depressing stories that we have a prevalence of now where good never wins and such. They tend to focus on hopeful revolutions going against tremendous odds, but still holding out regardless.

      I think it's an interesting balance to what I was talking about in this post, and I think it's something I might look into in the future.

      Delete