Monday, September 26, 2016

Health and Sickness in Stories and Life

Over the last year or so, I've thought a lot about the concept of health. More recent events have caused me to think about it all the more.


For the purposes of this post, I'll be using the word "disorder" as a catch all for any form of unhealthiness from sicknesses like the cold, to mental disorders, to broken bones, to things like cancer, etc. I understand that these things are not all considered medical "disorders", but they are things that disturb the "order" of a person and of their life.


In television, movies, and most forms of fiction, unless the story is about disorder/how the disorder affects the lives of people with it, most of the time characters are portrayed as generally having good health.


In real life, disorder is a lot of times looked at as something shameful, burdensome, or as a form of weakness. Sure, things happen, someone goes to the hospital and everyone acknowledges the severity of the active disorder and shows sympathy and support, but that's usually only in a limited window of severity and time. (There are, of course, exceptions, but I'm looking at a lot of generalities in my experiences.)


With the shame, people are taught to reel in their disorder, to hide it from others, to not talk about it a lot, and generally to do a lot of coping on their own.


These things shaped my perception of people and of reality.


I believed that being "healthy" was the norm, and this is not the case.


It turns out, as I've talked to people and paid more attention over the last year or so, a significant portion of people I know have some ongoing disorder in varying degrees. Maybe it's a debilitating or chronic physical thing. Maybe it's a mental disorder. Maybe it's even just an inescapable psychosis which needs ongoing therapy. These things all affect people's lives. Even if whatever it is can be treated with medication, usually that just bring someone *close* to healthy. It allows them to hide and blend in, hide, not be a burden, but there are almost always still some effects from the disorder, not to mention side effects of medication.


This isn't really being represented in fiction. Should it be?


There are a number of benefits that would come from having more people with disorders in fiction, especially fiction that doesn't focus on the fact that they have a disorder. For one, it would bring fiction closer to our reality, something for which the merits are debatable. But, as a larger point, having characters with disorder that are portrayed in a positive light become more commonplace could help to remove the stigma of having disorder in oneself. People who have disorder might feel less like they have to hide their weaknesses, and more willing to be themselves. They wouldn't have to feel ashamed. Then, rather than bearing the whole burden of this terrible thing that isn't their fault, this terrible thing that is happening to them, alone, they can find help, support, and comfort from those around them. The people who look down on those with disorder might begin to see that it's not so bad and, even more so, not the fault of the person with the disorder. Over time, increasing this trend could help to make society more accepting and more honest.


So why isn't it happening now?


We, the audience, don't want it to.  We all know those episodes of tv shows where a major character gets sick/severely injured, or where a character shows up who has health issues. Those are very rarely, if ever, our favorite episodes. We have been trained that when this happens the plot will slow. A lot of the time it will become more serious than normal as it focuses on how the disorder affects all the other characters. We can accept these episodes as "good" or "important" but they aren't the ones we choose to rewatch.


We like our characters to be able and capable and not have to have struggles or issues separate from the main conflicts of the story. We see health issues as either the story itself, in the case of stories focused on disorder, or as distractions from the story in stories that aren't.


Disorder is real in a way that fiction isn't.


While a lot of fiction tries to maintain a level of realism, it also has a structure that real life doesn't often follow. Some authors weave themes through their stories that would often be difficult to work disorder into without focusing on it. Most stories have some sort of plot arc, and disorders could (and often do) disrupt that arc.


Disorder doesn't follow themes or arcs. It doesn't necessarily show up at times that are dramatically appropriate. If it's being portrayed accurately, it shows up unexpectedly. Sometimes it is severe enough to put the rest of one's life, the rest of one's story, on hold. Sometimes it's just an interruption. But it rarely has anything to do with the other things going on in a person's life. It doesn't "fit."  It doesn't go well with an existing story.


I don't have a solution.


I want disorder to be better represented. I want to live in that world where people don't feel ashamed about their struggles. I want to live in the world that acknowledges that perfect health is not the norm and that everyone is going through something. I think fiction can be a part of getting to that world.


But I also don't want to read the stories that are super focused on disorder. I don't want to feel like "oh, this character is only in this story for social justice reasons." I don't want disorder to be forced. I don't really want to read about disorder. I don't want disorder to disrupt my stories.


I want the benefits, but I struggle, both as a writer and as an audience member, with the execution. I don't know how a good negotiation works.


Possibly one of the best I've seen is the webcomic d20 Monkey which includes a blind supporting character. It isn't made a big deal of, but it is consistent throughout the comic.


I do have a major character in Heroism and Other Lies who has a physical disorder, and I like to think I pull this off well, but I still don't feel like the work as a whole is particularly representative. Nor am I sure how much it should be.

6 comments:

  1. Something I think would hinder me quite a bit if I were to try to write is that I'm terrible at putting myself in people's shoes in regards to how disorders (and trauma in general) affect their lives and the lives of people around them. When fiction shows disorder as a brief speed bump to the plot, I tend not to understand why characters react in the extreme or unusual ways they do. With that in mind, I'd certainly appreciate more attempts to weave disorder more naturally into the lives of characters so we can see the day-to-day effects that frame the typical, drastic, emotional scenes.
    Of course, you'd have to be careful not to slip too far into the other direction and treat the disorder as a quirky personality trait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the best ways of putting oneself in other people's shoes would be to research the particular disorder that would be being presented to try to have a good understanding of it and how it affects people. However, I have seen numerous times that writers are very well informed on a topic, but that the presentation comes across as clinical because all they have is knowledge. I think actually knowing someone with the disorder in question and seeing how they interact in day to day life is helpful for having an authentic and emotionally aligned presentation.

      However, all that research may lead a writer to want to focus more in that in the writing because they've built up a wealth of knowledge and it's taking up a large portion of their mind. This gets away from the day to day natural presentation of the disorder and shifts it back into the limelight, which isn't what I'm trying to do.

      I have seen the quirky personality trait thing done too, and I agree that it's not the best way to go about things.

      Delete
  2. Brandon and I were talking about this last night (which was partially why he reminded me about your blog), and you make a lot of very good points. I also struggle with the way disorder is portrayed in the media. I am a big supporter of the idea that disorders (especially mental health) should not be stigmatized the way they often are. Including characters who are open and honest with their struggles could empower us and help others to understand more about disorder. It could be a very powerful tool if executed well.

    However, you're very right that disorder is typically not just going to go along with the story. Disorder doesn't "fit" in with the plot line or affect us in predictable ways at times. Often times in media, when it is included, I fear they portray disorder inaccurately and as dramaticly as possible. But I imagine that it is possible for entertainment to include disorder without it always being the main plot line or without it detracting from the story.

    One show that I know you've seen is Homeland. While perhaps they didn't always accurately portray Bipolar Disorder on the show, I felt like they were often realistic with it in how it did not constantly drive the show. Often times we would forget that the main character was fighting that battle, only to be reminded at an unexpected moment. It was interesting, but the show could have stood on its own without it.
    While the audience found it tough to watch the main character's struggle with mental health, I don't think she was portrayed as being weak as a person. She was still very capable and smart, regardless of her disorder. Her flaws just made her more admirable for showing her strength through those hardships. (Although, I know she often got on our nerves for other reasons. Haha) Admittedly, I don't remember the show in perfect detail. But perhaps it explored the incorporation of a main character struggling with disorder who was still admirable on many levels? Mental illness didn't define her, but they did use it to make the story more complex. These are just my initial thoughts, so forgive me if I change my mind later. :p

    Like Brandon said, I'd be very interested to see how disorder frames the rest of the story, if that could be done well. To incorporate struggles like that without simply making the show's focus become the struggle would be an awesome way to make progress to normalize disorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about Homeland when I was putting together this post. While I had mixed opinions on their portrayal of Bipolar Disorder in Carrie's life, I do give the show a lot of credit for trying to do the thing that I've been talking about in this post.

      A agree that a part of the misrepresentation of disorder is based on a focus on upping drama for entertainment value. I understand this, as drama is what drives stories which is what attracts audiences. So why give time to something that's not going to attract as much drama as something else?

      Delete
  3. I think there are various ways to take this conversation.

    The Good
    We could talk about works that do cover "disorder" in interesting ways, ways that might defy the pattern you present. I think R. A. Salvatore has characters with disorders that I don't find to be detracting from the story (I'm thinking in particular The Highwayman has disorder as an important theme). I think I'm generally interested in characters with flaws; I think flaws define characters as well or better than their abilities. If we can identify, support, and spread these works, then we can fix a bias with what already exists.

    The Bad
    We could talk about trends that, I think, relate to inadequate showings of disorder. I might point the finger at the rise of the superhero, how many TV shows and films have super heroic themes, and the number of fans that I can assume go along with it, since such productions are profitable enough to justify innumerable continuations of the story/universe. These superheroes have COMIC-al depictions of disorder, or weakness of any kind. (WTF is kryptonite? Is it similar to gluten? No amount of listening to 3DD's single has helped explain this.) Superman, Batman, the Flash - who relates to them? Why would I care about them? Other contenders in popular culture lose the particulars of the vigilante in spandex, but keep the unrelatable characters in a reality divorced from our own: Harry Potter, some Anime, LotR. (Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in America. Dragonball Z teaches me that if I am worried about a heart disease I should [SPOILER WARNING] wait for a kid from the future to come back in time with a pill. How does this help me understand disorder?!?) I think escapism is a major and increasing problem in our culture.

    Ourselves
    I don't think either of those directions is the most important route for this conversation to go. I think that this whole thing starts with ourselves. How do we tell the stories of our lives? Do we focus too much on the disorder? Do we let the disorder define us, our potential? Do we obscure the disorder in our lives, leaving it out of the stories we tell about ourselves entirely? If you look, one of the most unhealthy (from a psychological perspective) parts of Facebook is how people whitewash - they present a distorted view of reality that has negative psychological effects on their Facebook friends. When it comes to Facebook where are the flaws? I know it is just the Face we want to present, but in lying to others we might deceive ourselves. If we work on telling the truth about our flaws in the stories we tell everyday, the change to the stories in the media may follow. And if it doesn't, does it matter?

    ReplyDelete